Friday, May 29, 2020

Welcome to the Register of Deeds of Russell County

Elizabeth Gilmore - Register of Deeds

Ronda Pasek - Deputy Register

PO Box 191

785-483-5725 - Fax

If you would like more information regarding a deed, please email us.

All of us who work at the Register of Deeds are proud of our reputation as an innovative, customer friendly operation. We look forward to serving you.

Our Purpose
Our purpose is to preserve and maintain the land records of Russell County. Our goal is to serve the public and provide information in a friendly and effective manner.

Our Office
The Register of Deeds office is the office where all transactions concerning land including deeds, mortgages, and liens are recorded and maintained so that the public is made aware of their existence. Many other documents are recorded in this office, including leases, plats, military discharges, power of attorney documents, easements, and affidavits. In addition, the Register of Deeds office houses some school and cemetery records. This office also files Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) fixture filings. In 2006 our office is pleased to announce that we started scanning/imaging all documents presented to the office for recording.

Open Records
This office is governed by the Kansas Open Records Act. Almost all records in the Register of Deeds office are required by law to be open to public inspection during regular business hours. The exceptions are the Kansas Real Estate Sales Validation Questionnaire and military discharge records, which are open to authorized persons.


All of the services offered by the Register of Deeds office are fee based. The recording fees are set by state statue and must be paid at the time of recording.


Register of Deeds Office

Kansas Fee Schedule 

All fees are due and payable prior to filing. 

Effective as of January 1, 2019, the Russell County Register of Deeds office will no longer collect mortgage registration fees.  We will however still charge recording fees. (Recording fees remain the same as 2018.)  If a mortgage is filed as a capped mortgage, please remember we still require an affidavit to verify the mortgage at the time of filing.


Our copy rates will remain at 0.75 per page, with a $1.50 fee to mail, fax, or email documents.

For recording deeds, mortgages, or other instruments of writing, for first page (not to exceed legal size page 8 ½" x 14"/Includes technology fee)
For second page and each additional page or fraction thereof (Includes technology fee)
Recording town plats, for each page (not to exceed 24"x 36")
Recording release or assignment of real estate mortgage (1st page)                                                          $20.00
Recording release or assignment of real estate  mortgage (each book/page) (per page tech fee thereafter)                                                            $4.00
Certificate, certifying any instrument of record
 Acknowledgment of signature  $12.50
Federal Tax Lien Notices
Federal Tax Lien Release
KSA 79-2616(d) Federal Tax Lien Certificate
KSA 79-2616(d) Copy of Tax Lien (per page)
State Tax Lien and Release K.S.A. 44-717(e)(1)
For filing liens for materials and services under K.S.A. 58-201, and amendments thereto
KSA 60-2201 Lis Pendens
K.S.A. 39-709(g) Medical Assistance Lien due at time of filing (First page only, additional fees apply for second and additional pages and fractions thereof)*  $0.00 
K.S.A. 39-709 (g) Medical Assistance Lien assignment of release for the first page* $0.00
(National Form Required)
Original financing statement
Amended financing statement
Continuation statement
Financing statement indicating assignment
Assignment if financing statement
Statement of release of all or part of any collateral described in filed financing statement
Real estate mortgage subject to KSA 84-9-502 FIXTURE FILING
Termination statement
Attachments, per page (after first ten pages, which are included in initial fee)
Written UCC information request, per debtor name
Copy request: a copy of any filed financing statement (per page)
Certified Copy, in addition to any copying expenses 7.50
If the name or names of any signer or notary public are not plainly typed or printed under the signatures, the register of deeds shall charge and collect a fee of $1.00 in addition to all other fees provided in this schedule. KSA 28-115 (d)
If sufficient space is not provided for the necessary recording information and certification on a document, such information shall be placed on additional sheet and such sheet shall be counted as a page.

The document shall be sufficient legibility to produce a clear and legible reproduction. If a document is judged not to be of sufficient legibility, such document shall be accompanied by an exact copy thereof which shall be of sufficient legibility to produce a clear and legible reproduction and which shall be of sufficient legibility to produce a clear and legible reproduction and which shall be recorded contemporaneously with the document and shall be counted as additional pages. The Register of Deeds may reject any document which is not of sufficient legibility.

*No fee shall be charged or collected for any filing made by the secretary of health and environment or the secretary's designee pursuant to K.S.A. 28-115(c). If it is unclear that the person requesting filing is the secretary's designee, standard filing fees shall be collected. 

*FIXTURE FILING real estate mortgages are also subject to mortgage registration fees provided for in  K.S.A.28-115.

General Recording Requirements
Documents presented for recording in the Register of Deeds office must be signed, notarized, and of sufficient legibility so as to produce a clear and legible reproduction. There must be a legal description. This typically includes a lot and block number and division or subdivision name for platted property. Unplatted areas usually contain section, township, and range numbers.

When a document is recorded in our office, it is assigned a book and page number and a time of recording. The document is photocopied, entered onto the computer, and scanned to form a computer image. The document is indexed in several ways to allow for future retrieval. The original document is returned to the sender.

What We Can Do
  • Record properly prepared documents
  • Provide information of property ownership and mortgages
  • Assist in genealogical research

What We Cannot Do
  • Prepare legal documents or provide legal advice
  • Determine if title is good and clear
  • Provide sale price of land transactions

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a deed?
A deed is a document that transfers the ownership of real estate. There are many forms of deeds. Warranty deeds and quit claim deeds are among two of the most common forms used. A warranty deed is a guarantee from the buyer to the seller that he has a good, clear title, and guarantees that previous owners or heirs have no interest in the property. A quit claim deed is used to release the name of a person who may have interest in or claim to the property.

Can I make out my own deed?
Yes, but the Register of Deeds and staff always recommend that you retain an attorney or title company. The Register of Deeds office is a recording agency and cannot prepare deeds or answer questions that pertain to legal matters.

Does the Register of Deeds only record real estate records?
Besides deeds, mortgages, etc., the Register of Deeds also records powers of attorney, corporation records, affidavits, and UCC's to name a few. The Register of Deeds also has custody of some of the public school records. The Register of Deeds also records military discharge papers for safekeeping. The recording and any certified copies needed of your discharge papers are always provided with no fee.

Can the Register of Deeds do a title search and tell me if I have clear title to my property?
No. Professional title examiners or abstractors search records in our office and other places such as district court, probate court, and federal courts to determine if your title is free of encumbrances.

What is a lien?
As a property owner, you may owe money to various creditors. A lien is filed by creditors to prevent property from being sold or mortgaged until the lien is satisfied. There are many types of liens such as for non-payment of taxes and mechanics liens. Mechanics liens for construction or labor are filed in the District Court's Office. Mechanics liens on personal property are filed in the Register of Deeds office as a UCC.

You can go to the Kansas Register of Deeds Homepage to download any forms you need.

Register of Deeds

Elizabeth Gilmore

785-483-5725 - Fax

The Register of Deeds Office is here to assist you. Please call our office or stop in and we will do our best to provide the information you require. If we are unable to help you, we will suggest other sources of information that might be useful.